Tuesday, 22 January 2008

LEGO Mindstorms fever!

I would like to talk about Lego Mindstorms.

I had to fight with relatives to persuade them that the LEGO Mindstorms are not toys for childs, and that the medium age of the people that buy this article is 27 y.o.
In the meantime I was persuading also myself, because to start again playing with LEGO at almost 29 y.o. is not so typical.

Some months ago I read on Scientific American an article (read here) where Bill Gates asserted how, when he was at the start of the Microsoft adventure, the personal computer was starting to change the life of everyone and he recognizes it as a revolution. He said also that the next revolution is robotics. In some decades we will see the robots change our life in every aspect.

I think that this is the point. I truly believe that the next decades will be extremely changed by robotics, so why do not get involved in it?

The first approach to robotics was a kit from DLR, the ASURO. I am not very able with soldering, so I obtained a little robot not working properly. I was not able to program it and I abandoned soon the little robot adventure.

Now I think I found the solution to my problems: the LEGO Mindstorms kit. I do not need to solder anything, and there are tons of books, newsgroup, newsletter, and so on talking about this branch of LEGO. I just bought "Building Robots with LEGO Mindstorms NXT" and, in my mind, I am already designing robotic arms, robotic animals, robotic vacuum cleaner, and so on. I hope this time I will get deeply involved with robotics... we will see.

In the meantime, for the Mindstorms maniacs, I do recommend the cited book.

No comments: